Planned giving is too often thought of as a gift an individual makes near the end of his or her life. But, planned giving can be a meaningful way to support Academy of the Holy Names at any point in one’s life.
Through the Mother Marie Rose Legacy Society, gifts can be structured to have immediate benefit to AHN, others can have ongoing or deferred benefits. By including Academy of the Holy Names in your philanthropic plans, you may receive tax benefits, an income stream, as well as the peace of mind that often comes with leaving an important legacy. For details, please consult your tax advisor.
In the spirit of Mother Marie Rose, who laid the foundation for all that has been accomplished at AHN since its beginning, the AHN Mother Marie Rose Legacy Society was created to recognize, honor, thank and embrace all individuals and friends who make a legacy gift through estate planning and bequests. These gifts continue to serve our mission and make a difference in the lives of future generations of students.
*The Estate of Constance Keeler Bopp ’51
+Judith Myers Cavanaugh ’58
Janet Doolin ’71
*The Estate of Jane Barrett Florick ’56
*The Estate of Sally Mosher Guerard ’48
Regina Scarano LaGatta ’70
*The Estate of Raymond J. Lauterborn
*The Estate of Mildred Rabe Mansfield ’37
Terilyn McGovern Mazza ’70
*The Estate of Patricia A. Moffitt*
*The Estate of Lois Delehanty Moll ’32*
*The Estate of Elizabeth Flood Morrow ’50*
Cynthia Haselsteiner Pettit ’78
*The Estate of Ellen A. Picotte ’69*
Mary Patricia Yanas Rowlands ’79
*The Estate of Carol Andre Sullivan ’63
Mary Ellen Conners Trumbull ’66
Mary Anne Vigliante ’64
*The Estate of Joyce M. Wrenn ’54*
*posthumously honored +deceased
Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) from an Individual Retirement Account (IRA)
- Generally, when an IRA owner is 72 years old, the required minimum distribution (RMD) from a traditional IRA is taxable to the owner.
- If the owner donates that required minimum distribution, or a portion of it, directly to Academy of the Holy Names, it is considered a charitable contribution and the amount is excluded from the donor’s adjusted gross income in the year the contribution was made.
- As you plan your charitable giving for this year, be sure to consult your financial and tax adviser for help in determining the best options for you and your estate planning.
Gift of life insurance
- If you have a life insurance policy you no longer need to support your spouse, partner or family, you can name AHN as the beneficiary of that policy, or add AHN as one of the beneficiaries of the policy.
- Holy Names would then receive the policy’s death benefit when you pass.
- There are no current tax benefits to this approach, however, the value of the policy would be removed from your estate for federal estate tax purposes.
Tribute and memorial gifts
- A gift to Holy Names may be given in honor of a living person, to memorialize someone who is deceased, or to commemorate a significant event.
- Tribute and memorial gifts are an excellent way to honor and perpetuate the ideals of the named person or event. Families of those honored or memorialized will be notified of the donor’s gift.
Have you included Holy Names in your legacy plans?
- AHN has received a number of significant and meaningful planned gifts. These gifts came unexpectedly from the estates of grateful alumnae and friends. Sadly, we never had the opportunity to thank these people personally, or to celebrate their generosity with them.
- In writing your will or living trust, you can specify Academy of the Holy Names as sole or partial beneficiary of your estate.
- Please let us know if you have included Academy of the Holy Names in your will or estate plans. We would welcome you as a member of The Mother Marie Rose Legacy Society and recognize your thoughtfulness.
Outright gifts of cash, securities, and real estate
- Outright gifts can include cash, appreciated stock or real estate, or tangible property/equipment.
- A Trust vehicle can be established to transfer cash, securities, and/or property and can be established to provide an income stream to you or your beneficiaries.
If you have included a bequest or made another type of planned gift to benefit Academy of the Holy Names, please contact us to let us know. We would like to thank you and recognize your gift by inducting you into the Mother Marie Rose Legacy Society.