As a college preparatory school, Academy of the Holy Names places a huge priority on leading and encouraging students through the college selection and application process.
Whether students end up at a community college locally or an Ivy-League across the country, the focus of the school’s College counseling office is on finding the best possible path for each individual student. And in large part because of that individualized focus, in 2023, Holy Names could boast a 100% college acceptance rate.
At Holy Names, the college search process begins in freshmen year with an annual Parent College Education Night to help families learn about the process. In the spring of sophomore year, students take a semester-long, once-weekly class that encourages girls to think about their future. Students take interest inventories, personality tests, and career tests, and relate the outcomes to potential careers. During junior year, the processes get more specific. Juniors take a semester-long class to determine what they want in a college, the size, feel, location, majors, etc. And in their senior year, a first-semester guidance class helps students get college applications completed.
When It’s Time to Apply
- The College Counseling Office at AHN helps in so many different ways:
- Helping students narrow their search
- Bringing to campus a full schedule of college representatives
- Assisting students in completing applications and essays
- Preparing students to demonstrate strong interviewing skills and strategies
- Publicizing scholarship opportunities and assisting with scholarship applications